From what I've read and some private communication with Doug I know:

After activation the beacon will immediately start broadcasting the distress signal without location information. This will be picked up by the mission control center almost immediately and they'll immediately know which PLB it is and, if registered, who it belongs to. In some parts of the world the satellites may need be able to simultaneously view the source of the beacon and the reciever terminal, so it has to store your signal and then transmit it to the receiver terminal once it's visible.

If the PLB has been pre-loaded with a GPS location, then the signal will immediately contain the location. I don't expect this will be the case for an accidental alert - which I'm going to guess is mostly likely due to kids or someone else messing around with the PLB.

Which brings up the point that I have taught my kids (10 & 11) how to use it - just in case, and emphasized the $250,000 fine and jail time involved in an accidental alert. Still, one never knows. When traveling in remote areas, I WANT the PLB to accessable by kids - again, just in case.

If the PLB has an onboard GPS and a clear view of the sky, then the location will be transmitted in a matter of minutes (see the times on Doug's PLB testing) once the GPS gets sufficient satellite information.

If the PLB has no onboard GPS and no pre-loaded GPS location, it be able to provide a doppler location in less than 90 minutes, in less than 45 minutes in North America, and if the satellites are lined up just right, in less than 10 minutes.

So, I figure I need to call "authorities" within a matter of minutes to notify them of a accidental alert. Once I figure out which are the proper telephone numbers, I'll create a laminated card to insert inside the PLB's holster - so I have the phone numbers right away.

Like I said, the most likely scenario is that a kid or unknowing adult finds the PLB and pushes the alert buttons. In that scenario, unfortunately I probably won't know the alert happened immediately - maybe not even for 10 minutes or more.

I've never seen details of the procedure used by officials to check for a PLB false alarm. I know they'll call the telephone numbers in my registration information. If I don't call them first, hopefully they'll start with my own numbers (home, work, mobile) and they'll call me.

If I don't get any answers here I'll contact Doug off-line.

Ken K.