I've been considering getting a basic GPS and becoming proficient with it. My traditional map/compass skills are pretty good. But I'm starting to question how useful GPS would be for use in the areas I live & hike in (Southeastern US forests/mountains).

As I understand it, a GPS is great for telling you where you are, where you've been, and the bearing to take to get to a known point. But you still need a compass and a map (either on paper or in the GPS) to actually figure out how to proceed. That's fine; I never thought a GPS replaced map/compass skills anyway.

GPS seems best suited to cross-county travel where you are not limited to trails. But in the Southern Appalachians foot travel is often unthinkable without following a trail. Cross-country through laurel thickets & steep contour lines is usually not an option, especially if you're lost/injured/tired. The primary tool here is a topo map that accurately shows the hiking trails. Then you've got to pay attention to what trail you're on, the compass bearing and the topography you're seeing.

If you were on the trail the GPS would tell you exactly where on the trail you are. But how useful is that, really, unless you never paid any mind to how you got there? I'm not sure it justifies the cost & hassle of the GPS.

For emergency use, the GPS would be great for telling rescuers where you are, but you must first contact them with a radio or cellphone. How practical is that? If you are in unfamiliar territory (i.e. James Kim's fateful drive), what are the odds that you'll have a 1:24,000 topo map of that area handy?

I guess I'm having trouble seeing the utility of GPS unless the terrain you're on allows you to traverse it at will. I realize I am most likely very wrong; any pointers would be appreciated.