I like the article. I like it mainly for the fact that it's an article that contains a lot of wisdom and is brought to public attention via a popular magazine.

Do I believe the "forget about food because almost no one dies of starvation" idea is correct? Not really. To me, that's like saying "almost all rescues happen in 72 hours or less, so there's no need to prepare for more." As soon as one of us takes this mindset, good ol' Murphy will make sure our butt is the exception to the rule.

Is food the last item on your list of things to worry about? Absolutely, but it's still on the list. Snares, fishing tackle, and rations don't take up much room, and they sure as hell make all the other activities you have to do in a disaster much more tolerable.

In my opinion, this article is meant for the people who constantly neglect preparation. This article should not sensationalize the low priority of food by telling people to ignore it altogether. Unfortunately, that is sometimes what it takes for the uneducated general public to understand a concept. On this forum, I don't think that applies to many of us. We're more the type that want to turn a disaster into "nothing more than an impromptu camping trip" (as quoted from Doug's articles).