Quote:
Isn't that kind of like claiming that if everyone can dial 911 then people won't plan properly, will take unnecessary risks, might submit false reports, that 911 call centers won't take calls seriously, etc... ?

Yes, unfortunately I think that is exactly what would happen if the PLB's became available to the average consumer. I'm not arguing that they wouldn't help save people's lives, I think it defnitely would, but the option for an easy rescue (for them) will change people's attitudes torwards personal responsibility. Look at the article on this website regarding the first rescue attributed to a PLB

http://www.equipped.org/plb_first_use.htm

Within two weeks, it was already being misused by the exact same person.

911 is a very good comparison, I think it started out as a very good idea to help people in need, but quickly became too easy for it's own good. And I do think people who live in more remote areas probably where 911 access is not as available, probably prepare differently than a city dweller who thinks fire or law enforcement rescue is only a call away.

There is no doubt that 911 has saved many lives, but there is also a lot of misuse of the system. Last I read, only 30% of the calls recieved by the CHP are actual emergencies. In fact, there is even a CD of stupid 911 calls, just do a search on google for "stupid 911 calls" and listen to some of them. The hamburger one is actually pretty funny, in a pitiful way. I may be a pessimist, but I see the same thing happeneing with PLB's. Although there will be a lot more legitimate rescues with more PLB's, there will also be a much bigger increase in false alarms.

The difference between this a PLB and 911 is, a false 911 call will at most waste a policemans time, and some taxpayers money. A false PLB alert will put rescuers lives at risk, at a much greater cost. Rather than being a last resort for rescue, I'm afraid it will become the default prepardness plan for many.

I would still like to see the cost of these come down, but there should be mandatory training in the proper use, plus a "one time use" fee everytime one is activated. Say maybe $5000 plus any additional cost of rescue. That would prevent people from triggering them unneccesarily. Somehow people will have to be held financially responsible, either in the up front cost at the time of purchase, or after the rescue.