Isn't that kind of like claiming that if everyone can dial 911 then people won't plan properly, will take unnecessary risks, might submit false reports, that 911 call centers won't take calls seriously, etc... ?

Some of that has happened, but for the most part 911 centers and the availability of phones (both wired and wireless) have be very successful.

The PLB system does have VERY severe penalties for real false alerts. Registration of PLB's is free, online, very easy, and required by law to be updated every two years. The registration captures information for the user and two emergency contacts that is used to assess the validity of alerts before rescue teams are dispatched. It really isn't much different than a 911 call center.

Yes, the current PLB system will eventually become outdated, but I still went ahead and purchased a PLB. The batteries need to be replaced every five years - I figure if I get 10 years out of it, I'll be more than happy and I'll feel much safer in areas without cell service. Besides, by then much smaller PLBs will almost certianly by available.