As I mentioned above, I contacted the Sterno website and asked about the Carbon Monoxide info in the above article by the Canadian medical journal. Here is the replyl:

"Thank you for your recent email regarding our World Class Sterno products.

This is Mike Siefert, Global Director for Quality and Technical Support of Sterno. Your email has been forwarded to me from our fine Customer Service Team for additional help to you.

Per your email request, please note:

On our Sterno website, www.Sterno.com , you will find many useful downloads, like Material Safety Data Sheets, usage & handling instructions, among other good information and safety charts. We use only the finest, cleanest, highest purity alcohols on the planet in the manufacturing of the Sterno family of products.

Regarding your comment on the website you listed below, I have submitted a rebuttal to their information. We have had independent test laboratory analyze our Sterno Brand Gel Chafing Fuel for between 50-60 compounds, and CO (carbon monoxide). Zero CO, or carbon monoxide is produced by burning Sterno Brand Gel Chafing Fuel for the entire 2+ hour burn. Attached you will find the independent laboratory analysis, and their report. Only CO2 carbon dioxide, is produced during combustion of our fuels. I do not know if their website will correct their reporting error, or not, or even post my letter which I submitted to them today. They may have been using a "Sterno-Like" product, but our Sterno Brand Fuel does not produce any carbon monoxide. Zero ppm measured down to 0.0000 mole percent.

Our retail product Sterno Brand gelled Canned Cooking Fuel will burn approximately for 2.5 hours, and is a canned, gelled alcohol product.

If you have additional particular questions regarding the use of our products, need additional technical information or BTU outputs, etc, please feel free to call or email me with any additional questions by reply, or at the number listed below.

Sterno, when used according to directions, usage instructions, and recommendations, is extremely safe by design. Sterno has been in the marketplace since the late 1800's. Safety is of strategic concern to us, and so is your individual safety. We design quality and safety, as much as humanly possible, into every single can we sell. We appreciate your feedback and comments.

At our website, we have safe handling and usage instruction sheets in .pdf file extensions, which one can download and print for reference. When you get to the above website, click on the "Foodservice Professional" link, then click on the "education and safety" link, then click the "fuel handling & safety tips" link. There you will find various methods of safe handling of Sterno fuel.

I sincerely hope this information has helped you. Thank you for your interest and patronage of Sterno Brand Fuels.

Please feel free to let me know if you need additional information and how to best further assist.

Best personal regards,

Mike Siefert"
Global Quality & Technical Support Director

The Sterno Group
Ofc: 903.223.3450 (Dial Country Code from outside US) 01
International Mobile: 903-293-8200(Dial Country Code from outside US) 01
MSDS's, handling, and usage instruction charts, are on the web at:

http://www.Sterno.com/