Quote:
Also carry a winter sleeping bag and two Evazote pads for each members and make sure to keep them in the cab rather than the trunk where the vehicle is coldest.
Actually, it is best to always pull a pop-up camper with a heater and a couple spare bottles of fuel.

The reason that I say this is that my own situation often mirrors that of the Kim family. My family owns a pair of four-door sedans. We could not afford a larger vehicle. On our weekend jaunts, we often have my wife and myself, two young kids (four and five years old), and one mother-in-law (who is over 60, but probably more adventurous and in better shape than many 30-year-olds). The trunk already has the basics: heat-sheets, folding shovel, camp stove, candle lantern, first-aid-kit, flashlights, bottled water, water purifications, lots of cordage and other micellaneous stuff. We also throw our jackets in there before we set out.

If I were to actually stuff five sleeping bags in the trunk, then there would be absolutely no room left for other stuff. Christmas time is coming. Last weekend, we drove up to Brekenridge, and spend more money than I am willing to admit at a toy store. If we had sleeping bags, the kids would have been holding their Christmas presents in their laps for the whole two-hour drive home.

Of course it is easy to just say "carry more stuff," and this can work for one or two people. But, if you have a pretty packed car, you have to make some sacrifices. I am obviously not going to leave one of my kids behind just so that I can carry more gear. I can't afford a larger vehicle.

Of course, I might be able to fit some of the smaller sleeping bags in there, but the better bags are over $100 each (I would love to have a Wiggy's, but probably can't afford it for a few years.). Added to this is the fact that I am both tall and wide, and simply cannot fit into a regular-sized sleeping bag. So, the only bags that are in my budget range are the cheap, large ones that take up 1/3 of a trunk.

So my point here is just that everybody has different limits. I am one of those people who should "know better," but I just cannot be prepared as I want to due to various external reasons.