Quote:
With all due respect, I'll disagree - water is certainly important, but in my view it is not the first priority.
KenK, I have to agree. RE: core temperature and "severe" weather. Caution is required there when using the word "severe", since at fairly high temperatures (50s F) and some wind, the risks can still be significant for reduced capacity due to onset of hypothermia, depending on clothing and other factors. You are correct about medical/mental problems as #1 (if you're bleeding, terminally spooked, etc.), but after that I'd say warmth and shelter. Going back over a hundred years (and I'm sure further) almost every writer on this topic talks about fire as a first priority. There are so many benefits to a fire in any survival (or just temporary inconvenience) scenario that, for me at least, firemaking has always been at the top of my kit and practice list (along with FAK). One last thought: I've often read on this forum that firemaking is a lower issue in an urban kit. Take note that experienced urban survivors (homeless and hobos) always find a barrel, trash and some fire when the weather goes bad - 'nuff said.

"Be Prepared" "For what?" "Why, any old thing!" B-P