"I would think that the *optimum* choice for an emergency firearm would be that one which you are most proficient in using, and more importantly, the one you actually have available to you when it is needed."<br><br>I certainly agree with that. As for the rest, your level and kind of experience is much different than mine, and I certainly wouldn't argue with you. <br><br>Perhaps my choice of words was a bit assumptive. There are certainly many different kinds of firearm calibers and configurations available; what I listed as "best" was based upon my own experience. My understanding is that Barb was advised to buy a semiautomatic rifle for what is basically home defense, and I think that's a terrible idea, for a number of reasons. <br><br>Again, the point is that you want to hit what your aiming at, not what may be behind or around a target. In the home or in other short-range defense environment, a handgun, chambered for familiar and widely available service calibers and with a 2-5 inch barrel, used with proper training, is the best choice, in my opinion. It is certainly not the only choice.