Thanks to all that have posted! About the gun issue, a semi-auto. was recommended by several retailers where we have been looking, that is why we wanted to get independent opinions from someone NOT trying to sell to us. The one opinion that I would truly trust locally (my wonderful cousin) is a cop/special forces reservist who is poking around in or near Iraq right now, and we don't know when he will be back. (Please keep him in your prayers!)<br><br>We live in a semi-urban area, an upscale community (in the poor section, fortunately!), that is surrounded by woods and isolated homesteads. I believe that our area would be a target for looting in the worst case scenario, even though our home is older and smaller, and may be passed up.<br><br>We live in the deep south (on the Gulf) so heating oil is not a common thing around here. I will check the types of sources that you guys suggested for the kerosene. I truly appreciate it. <br><br>Bless you and thank all of you for the food for thought on weapons. That is the toughest decision we are heading toward for me, but I don't want to be stupid about it either.<br><br>Barb G