Once you've considered the legal and moral aspects of owning and using a firearm and still want to own one, then you need to determine what the main purpose for the gun will be and where it will more than likely be used. <br><br>It was recommended to myself and my wife by a friend of ours that if we are looking for a multi-purpose weapon that could be used to fetch grub, or could be used for recreation (I don't consider the taking of any life as recreational) or in the event of, can be used for close quarters self defense, that the shotgun would be the weapon of choice and I have to agree with him. My shotgun is a Remington 870 express in 12ga and my wifes is a smaller and lighter Mossburg 500 in 20ga. The combined purchase price of both weapons was less than the cost of my .45acp handgun. If the chips are on the line and I need the best all around defense weapon, I'll reach for my 870 every time. Just the sound of a round being chambered is enough to make a would be attacker rethink his intentions and situation. For hunting, you couldn't have a more versatile weapon as a shotgun. Just make sure to remove all the pellets before sinking your teeth into the pheasant or rabbit you've prepared. It's heck on the teeth if you don't. ;o) <br><br>For a good all around survival weapon, I don't think you could do much better than a .22 rifle, well, except for maybe one of the combo guns available today. I like the idea of a .22lr and 12ga combo gun but havn't done anything about it yet. Anyway, I like both the Ruger 10/22 and the Marlin semi-autos. Both are inexpensive as compared to many other similar rifles with the Marlin being almost downright cheap and from my experience, they are both reliable and accurate. Unless you live in California with their .05 per round tax, .22 ammo is dirt cheap, a 500 round box is relatively easy to carry and will provide lots of tablefare to a practiced shooter. <br>