Clarification of a couple of things in my previous post:<br><br>1. I'm unsure of WHY kerosine seems to be stable enough for long term storage, as it's just another distillate - somewhere between gasoline and diesel, IIRC. It MAY be related to the ordinary uses of kerosine in the home, and perhaps if one is contemplating kerosine as a substitute for diesel engine fuel or as jet fuel, there MIGHT be stability issues. Or not. But anecdotal evidence is that it's much more stable than other fuels in long term storage.<br><br>2. I'm neither discouraging nor encouraging y'all from owning a firearm(s). You asked a loaded question (pun intended). Everyone who suggested "this" or "that" so far has given you reasonable suggestions, personal preferences or not. As Cooper says, the best gun for self-defense is the one you have with you... however, I think that we can suggest better choices for you to consider if we know a little about what your perceived needs/concerns are.<br><br>And for my aquaintances who HAVE made some suggestions already, my comments on some of the comments:<br><br>The 36s (357 magnum, 9mmx19, etc) are among the very worst IN REAL HOUSES for over-penetration of walls. Even recent advances in expanding bullet technologies have consistently been fairly problematic in that regard. I'm not saying they are bad, just pointing out that little tidbit. <br><br>I am NOT a fan of the 223/5.56 for self-defense, however, in REAL HOUSES, it has consistently been among the very "best behaved" with regard to over-penetration IF the shooter is using 55 grain or lighter thin-skinned bullets ("varmint" bullets). It will, of course, pass through at least one wall on a miss, of course.<br><br>The best close-range stopper in commonly used firearms is unquestionably a 12 gauge shotgun, with 16 and 20 gauge close enough to toss in as well. And just as unquestionably, at close range, even a load of very small #9 shot WILL shoot through a conventional interior wall-board covered stud wall. Just one (charge spread and energy loss prevents penetration of the next wall across the room). It may or may not pass through a "real" plastered wall - usually not on a 3 or 4 coat plastered wall. Knocks the snot out of the off side, but that's about it.<br><br>So is it a bad thing if what you are using passes through a wall? Well, that sort of depends on what's one the other side of the wall - a good guy or a bad guy.<br><br>More later if you are interested.<br><br>Tom