"Your recommendations for semi-automatic rifle for people who are new to guns. Something I can use as well as my husband (for protection)."<br><br>Barb, first of all, i dont recommend a semi-automatic rifle for people who are new to guns. Why? because semi-automatic weapons require lots of practice to yield correctly, and in the wrong hands, you may end up shooting the wrong person. <br><br>Second, if it is for in home use, its much much easier for you to use a pistol. place your self in the situation. in my honest opinion, a pistol would come out on top and a close quaters battle.<br><br>third, rifles pack a punch. now, in the case of killing your enemy, thats always a good thing. but, Do you and your husband have kids? how bout close nieghbors? you dont want that same bullet to go through window of your house and shoot out your neighbors tv (or much much worse),or your kids? Of course, you could almays get custom load bullets that pack less of a punch, but thats more expensive (i think...) and for you to do it your self would cost an additional 300-400 dollars just for a reloading machine. not to menchin the powder, primers, shells, bullets, and time!<br><br>Recall the california bank robery (or what ever it was) , with the three body armoured thiefs and "semi-automatic" rifles, bullets were found im pretty sure, BLOCKS away from the scene.<br><br>fourth, its much easier and FASTER to line up the sites one a pistol, then it would be aiming a rifle.<br><br>Please disregard every action movie you see with guns in them, thats NOT how real guns are used, and NOT how they preform.<br><br>Its a much better decision to maybe, take a course, familiarize your self and your husband with firearms.<br>But im only 16, so heres my dads word of advice (but more commonly heard from my mothers mouth) THERE NOT TOYS!(especially the semi automatic ones!)<br><br><br>But, after you familiarize yourself, a small Ruger SP101, or the like, would be a nice choice. long trigger pull to let you make split second decisions, and a large caliber that is sure to stop the attacker, but not take out the nieghbors tv with him.<br><br>and try not to kill anyone! (as my mother used to yell!)