Okay, I just gotta say . . .

When I lose my car keys, I start the search by looking in the place I found then the *last* time they were lost. When I lose track of my husband in the hardware store I always head for the power tools, because that's where I found him the last time he was "lost". If there is a history of people getting lost on that road, shouldn't that be the first place rescuers search?

They asked for a map of a scenic route and someone actually handed over a map showing Bear Camp Road to be a viable choice? Mountains + Scenic Route + Winter = Bad Idea. Do not hand out these maps! Refuse politely! And who prints these maps and makes them available to innocent tourists? Why isn't there a notation on the map saying "Roads marked by asterix are closed during the winter. Please do not try to drive on these roads."? I have a vague childhood memory of hiking in Colorado using a Forest Service map that had markings to indicate which places a hikier should avoid during hunting season, so a similar map . . .

And I agree with the poster who asked, why would anyone want to drive on a scenic route after dark? You can't see anything anyway. Might as well stick to the highways.