Quote:
What I was hoping for from Doug wasn’t that he should have had a PLB. That’s a no brainer, as anybody could have pushed the button at that point. But instead, once in that situation, what could/should he have done?

I'm relatively new here, but I think Doug maybe holding back out of respect. Plus the other members have covered most of the basic & obvious stuff.

This site is mainly geared towards.

1. Don't get lost.
2. If you are lost survive for a couple days until you are found.
3. Signal for help.

This site has detailed his mistakes pretty well:

James blew #1 above by taking a wrong turn into a mountain pass that many on here have admitted they could have easily done. (I definitely could have made this mistake)

Several have pointed out that as soon as you are lost turn around.(But how many of us men would have wanted to admit defeat & turn around - especially in front of the wife) And I'm not convinced that he realized he was lost & don't honestly know that I would have realized it. When it's dark & the snow is coming down it's kinda hard to read the signs.

They failed on #1,

but had fully met & passed #2 & #3 above.

1. Shelter of the Car.
2. Melting snow for water.
3. Burned tires for minimal warmth & signaling.
4. Written a large SOS in the snow & later used an umbrella for waving at helicopter. (Some have pointed out the mirrors for signaling, but the umbrella worked once a helicopter did fly by)

The surviving & signaling for help hadn't worked for SEVEN days. And they were in a world of hurt because they didn't know when/if help was ever going to come. As a man with two young children who would soon be facing starvation he made the only decision he could think of and that was to go for it. And in spite of all his failures I do think that makes him a hero.

The survival gear discussed most often here isn't going cover you in all situations especially high up in the snow covered mountains. What good are 5 fishing hooks when you're going to die from hypothermia trying to hike down to the creek to go fishing. The winter mountains are a brutal place to be. A PSK & FAK aren't going to help much when there is 3 to 4 feet of snow on the ground & it 20 degrees. A multi-tool for cutting braches that are too soaking wet & frozen to burn isn't going to help. Though a multi-tool along with some cordage could be used to make some snowshoes you still would die from the cold without a fire & better clothing. A really loud whistle is worthless if no one is within 30 miles of you. etc. You can't forage for food when everything is buried under snow & ice. A little candle would be great for the 1st night. The PSK is geared towards a short time period. They had made it way past the initial 72 hours.

Real problems were that they didn't have winter clothing & boots. And didn't have a longterm food supply. Things that are obvious, but the Kims didn't think they were going to need these items.

So that is why the magic bullet is the PLB or OnStar on your vehicle which very few will get because just like the winter clothing & longterm food they don't think they will need them.

James Kim was under a lot of pressure & I personally would rather have died trying than watch my kids starve if in his shoes.

What I have learned is to continue to keep my winter coveralls & boots in my vehicle when traveling in the winter. Even if they are only needed to hike 1/2 mile to closest farmhouse when vehicle is stuck or breaks down. We have a zero degree Coleman sleeping bag in all of our vehicles. I am putting together a very high calorie filled 5 gallon bucket that I will throw in the van on long trips in addition to the BOB. Anytime of the year as you never know what the terriorists will accomplish in our lifetimes. I also will continue to carry a Glock, PSK, FAK even though they wouldn't have saved me in his situation.

Speaking of his situation I read on another forum from someone that lives in that are that there were bear tracks found crossing James tracks. Another reason to always carry a personal firearm even if all it would do is scare the bear or mountain lion, etc.