Quote:
What key cheap no-excuse-to-not-have-in-any vehicle item or tool if he had with him could have made a difference.
I've read accounts which indicate he had a GPS, but that means little since he missed his turn onto Hwy 42. Besides the PLB, the one piece of gear I'd have had is a Garmin mapping GPS with turn instructions. Even if I deliberately decided to skip Hwy 42 and took the route that Kim chose in error, following the GPS would have prevented turning onto the logging road and getting way off the beaten track. I checked and while Hwy 42 is in the GPS V's basemap, the route Kim chose for his trip to the coast is not in the basemap, it's only in the detail map I'd need to upload. The logging roads are not there and the GPS would simply show you offroad heading whatever direction.

I don't consider a GPS to be survival equipment, it's just a navigation tool, like maps and compass are tools. However, a good mapping GPS knows where you were, where you are and if you set it up it knows where you want to go. Mine's not even close to cutting edge, 4-level grey LCD display and only 19 Megs of flash memory, but if I was leaving I-5 that leg of the trip would be in memory. One of these days I'll upgrade to a color display with enough memory for the entire western US, but for now I'll make due with a unit that works for me.

This all goes to preventing the situation by avoiding the missed turns. Without the GPS, as soon as I hit snow and looked at my gas gauge I'd have been looking for a place to turn around. There are places to stay in Grant's Pass and Roseburg. Besides, what's the point of a scenic route at night. I've driven through the Sierra's at night and all you can see are the deer grazing by the road.