I've been following this thread and it seems the discussion breaks down into two general areas: kit and decisions. I won't respond to the kit issues about what one should , could, did have - because Mr. Kim didn't have much, since his wife and kids survived pretty well they apparently had what they needed for this ordeal (that's simplistic, of course) and virtually everyone on this forum probably has more kit in their pockets right now than they had! So, let's look at decisions.

In this situation, and thousands like it any of us may face, decisions are really risk assessments. Survival and high stress/danger environments (combat, for instance) require continuous evaluation of environment/conditions, resources, threats and plausible responses. These are all couched in risk tolerance - and that is dependent in large measure on possible consequences and to whom. As has been said if it's just me that's much different than my wife and two kids being impacted. My risk aversion quotient changes! If I might die that's one thing - different if the risk is a broken arm. And these decisions must be made constantly through time and as the variables change. To put it simply, I tell people I train this - when you're up against it - or about to be - think about every decision, evaluate risk, then go. It's not go - then evaluate risk - then decide! Too late! And let me add - all the kit in the world can't compensate for not thinking - because you're dead and can't use it!

We don't have now - and may never - all the details of this story, but some bad decisions were made long before the car stopped and way long before the ninth day. Do I turn down this road? (Snow, dark, no kit, no food, poor map) Do I stop now and back up? Now do I try to turn around? You get the idea. So, here's my risk assessment.

The car's stuck, I don't have any equipment, not much food, etc. etc. I do have the ability to make fire. Plenty of wood. I can get water. Not the best clothing situation. I can shelter in car. Lots of "stuff" from the car. I'm a long way from civilization. After 7 days little chance of enough strength to walk out in this situation. Conclusion: best chance is to shelter in place, conserve bodily energy, keep warm, keep hydrated, make my search signature as large as possible (like I said - burn down the forest!). I am convinced that at every decision point after being stuck the final choice has to be - remain in place and keep working to stay alive. As more time passes careful judgment dictates that this becomes more important - not less. But here's the key - you have to know all that ahead of time. It is knowledge and mental preparation that makes survivors. Sure, we all know the stories of somebody who walked out after two weeks and saved his crew. It's just that the hundred other stories of those who died trying just aren't that interesting!

So, knowledge, training, practice, kit - in that order. BTW, been there done that. 35 years ago I was lost for a three days in the remote Ontario forest - and I was real experienced outdoors. But I was mentally unprepared for the experience. I probably wasn't that far from dying, in hindsight. Going in the wrong direction (which I was) I could have gone 250 miles to hit a public road. I got my wits back and got back to camp two days later. I decided then and there that it would not happen that way again. I've been lost several times since then, but now I know what to do - because I've planned to be lost. I carry different stuff and I have different mental preparation. My risk assessment is much different. I like to go places where it's tough and I go prepared to deal. When I'm not prepared, I don't go to those places.

"Be Prepared" "For what?" "Why, any old thing!" B-P