I have to agree with the sentiment that after 7 days of waiting, of setting singal fires, of watching your kids freeze and running out of supplies, what would you expect? The only thing - and I mean the only thing - I think that I would have had as an advantage in that situation is that I usually have a set of turnout gear in my vehicles, which include heavy boots and makes incredibly effective winter wear. But it's HEAVY and not suited for long hikes. I doubt that I would have been able to sustain a long hike in turnout gear. Doug mentioned a 406 Mhz PLB, and I have to admit, I've always thought of those as something for aviation and marine applications, but perhaps a reconsideration is in order if I were to decide to travel way in the back woods like that. But all in all, we have to look at the outcome as a lesson learned for all of us - the fantasy scenarios we all cook up are exactly what happened here, and the outcome was tragic. My kids are about the same range as his, I just can't help but think of what the 4 year old is asking mommy tonight.