Quote:
...For example, I just flew to San Jose for a couple days, and as a result I tore my kit apart and have yet to get it back together...

I'm with you, brother. I flew back from Houston last week, so my on-person EDC and man-purse got completely turned upside down due to flying restrictions.

Regarding the James Kim situation:

1. It is easy to say "stay with the car/plane wreck" and it is usually true but there are situations where you either walk out or die. For example the Stolpa family, and that Air Force guy & his son lost on the snowy mountain in Turkey.

2. When I heard the news about SAR finding Kim's pants, the story also mentioned that they were using thermal detection devices. My immediate reaction was "won't matter, because his body temperature is now matching the ground temperature".

3. I have been studying real-life survivor accounts lately via "I Shouldn't Be Alive" DVDs and books like "Adrift". I really feel for the plight of the survivors in an expanded way because you begin to sense how iffy every decision can be. In "Adrift", Callahan describes how every decision he made had an upside and a very real potential downside.

There are few easy decisions in these situations. I pray the Kim family will find peace through all of this.