Especially in winter, extra gear is a must. I have a survival kit in a backpack, plus a Bibler tent, sleeping bag, and blankets that go in the trunk. Extra diesel fuel in a 2.5 gallon container, plus a multi-fuel stove that can burn it and a large pot for melting snow. Snow shovel, tire chains, gloves, car repair stuff.

After reading this story, I think I'll add some additional food, plus make some coffee can candle/melter kits. I often have a GPS, handheld ham radio, and cell phone with me (especially if I'm going backpacking/snow camping), but I think I'll make a communications kit and have that in there too. I usually have a PSK and PFAK with me at all times, but even though the main kit has all of that stuff and more, I think I'll make sure they're always on me anyway.

I think I'll add an axe and saw to the mix. Another thing that comes to mind is good maps and information on repeaters and other communications. The GPS can be preloaded with a lot of data, so that's a place to start, but since it could die or run out of batteries, I'll have to look at some other sort of backup and paper (tough given the scope of territory I drive through to get to the Sierra Nevada).

What else would we all add to the lists?