I have a firesafe at my house where I store backups as well as papers in. I'm planning to get a small one for storage at my parents house. Even if they only hold up for a few minutes in fire they are still well insulated enough that they make temperature and humidity changes slower inside which helps keep the media lasting longer.
One rule of backups is to always make multiples and make them on multiple types of media. I carry a USB flash drive in my EDC with my calendar and addressbook on it which are my two most important files. Then I make weekly backups to another drive in an USB enclosure either by plugging it in my laptop or over the network to another system. Then I unplug and hide that drive somewhere in case someone were to break in and steal my laptop and run. Next was CD backups in my firesafe but that I haven't kept up on because it was taking too many CD's. So i bought a DVD writer to get that going again. It took two DVD's just to backup my pictures because I have almost 9G there then the rest of my documents and such. So USB flash at $120/4G would get cost prohibitive. Then there was one DVD of pictures on my wife's system. She edits hers and I keep theme original so there is no jpg loss.
I'm trying to work out a schedule, I'm thinking of maybe monthly backups of pictures and other select important documents, and maybe quarterly for the rest and maybe only move things to my archive folder once a year and mack a backup of it at that time.
Just wanted to see if anyone else did similar and what your schedule was.