What you've described is the US of A. People are no longer polite. There is an exponentially increasing gap between the haves and the have-nots. There is a highly disturbing trend in government to ride roughshod over our constitutional rights. And the burden on the middle class has gotten to the point where the middle class is starting to disappear.

In the face of all of this, the easy answer is "Pack up and go while you can." But the question arises, "Go where?"

Where can you think of that is better?

In my opinion, the better answer is "Protect my family, and work to change things."

We talk endlessly here about protecting your family.

How do you change things? Vote. Learn about the people who are trying to get elected, and help the ones who support measures that will return our freedoms.

Meet with the candidates and get to know them on a one-on-one basis. Not so easy with Senators and Congressmen, but local, county and state level people are pretty accessible.

Join or form citizens' groups to add the weight of numbers. Can't think of any? How about the NRA to start.

Less than 40% of the population votes in any given election. And less than that vote in the primaries. Yet the primaries determine ultimately who is going to run for President. I find it frightening that our President is elected by less than 25% of the population.

What should you do? Do something positive. Don't run away. Don't hide. The grass is just not greener over there.