We've addressed this issue before here, and it comes down to the same conclusions.

There's no point in running away, the problem will only follow you and grow.

There's no hope of defending against it. Firsthand experience in Baghdad showed me that a well armed minority still has no hope of surviving a determined attack of greater numbers. The best you can hope for is MAD (Mutually Assured Destruction), with the chance of some survivors leaning in favor of the majority. I got plenty of firsthand stories from the locals there about homes being ambushed in the middle of the night by 50 or more well armed thugs. The result was always the same. The occupants were terminated, taking many of the assailants with them.

So the conclusion I reached was that I would prepare for the possibility that I could be challenged by an irresistable force, and the only objective would be to take as many of them with me as possible, make them pay as great a price as I can in what will be my last effort. Also to form my own alliances so that retribution would be inevitable and considerable.

It is almost impossible to stop someone who is willing to die to take you out as well. Your only option is pre-emptive strike, which usually comes with a high price anyways. The moment you go on the defensive you start to lose. If you can accept that a stalemate wherein you still perish is the best outcome you can hope for, then you can prepare at least for a realistic chance of success in any confrontation.

Let me put it another way. Say I am out with my family and we are accosted by a group of thugs. I will be armed, but if I lose the initiative, then it is likely one of my girls will be directly threatened with harm should I attempt to defend myself. That being the case, my girls understand that I will attack the threat, going through the girls if need be. I will not submit to threats if I am able to wield force against them. In my mind the girls have already been compromised, and the best I can hope for is to prevent the attackers from inflicting maximum damage to all of us.

Seems pretty cold, but that's life I reckon.

Of course, I've trained my girls to use lethal force as well, so the attacker may be quite surprised to find that I am not his greatest opponent after all (he he he). Don't mess with Daddy's little girls.