I hope this isn't old news for everyone here...if so, forgive me.

Years ago I read in a survival book how to cook eggs without a pan (or flat rock). It works well and you can cook them from a poached state all the way through hard-boiled. My daughter and I have been practicing this alot lately (Why? I really don;t know. It's pretty cool and maybe sometime it'll be useful).

You build a small fire about the size of the palm of your hand and keep feeding it to build a small coal bed...or... pull some coals away from a larger fire. Using the tip of a knife or sharp rock, gently crack the top of the egg to make a small hole - about 1/8" to 3/16" diameter. The top of the egg is the smaller diameter end... or the more pointed end of the egg.

Just set the egg in the coals and turn it every few minutes. You can pull in a few more small coals as time goes by. Depending on the fire or coal heat, it takes approximately 15 to twenty minutes to cook. We're still experimenting with cooking time so we can more-or-less judge the cooking time to get poached, soft-boiled, medium-boiled, or whatever.

Ok. I'm excited to be here and just wanted to type that for whatever it's worth. Now I'm second-guessing this post and thinking maybe it doesn;t belong in this particular forum. Well, let me know if it doesn;t.