As a resident of coastal NC, my office is only two blocks from the ocean in Atlantic Beach, I have survived about six hurricanes since moving to the area. The first storm, we left and went to Raleigh. They actually had a worse time there with flooding, power loss, and downed trees than we had at the coast. Two friends went inland, seperately, and their cars were damaged by falling trees in motel parking lots.<br>Since then, we have sheltered in place in our house and done quite well. We discussed evacuating for Floyd, as all of the hype predicted old testament devastation. By the time we secured our house and business, the traffic jams inland prevented our departure. We were fine.<br>Current FEMA recommendations are to "hide from wind and run from water". If you are in an area prone to flooding get out. If you are in a structure with wheels that attracts tornados or is easily damaged by wind, get out. If you are in a sturdy house and are in an area not likely to flood with storm surge, equip yourself and prepare to survive in place.<br>All bets are off, in my opinion with a strong Cat 4 or any Cat 5 storm.