It may be a comedy for you, me, and the rest of this forum, because we know better, but many if not most people who watch this show do not. Remember people are being told that he is an experienced survival expert, and they specifically say in the intro that he will teach you how to survive. And if you don't realize that the show is staged and probably scripted, then what he accomplishes actually seems very impressive(i.e. catching animals almost instantly, always finding gourmet meals with little effort, and always finding exactly what he needs within a few feet from him, etc.)

While most of the viewers watch the show for entertainment and will never use any survival skills, they do beleive they are being shown good survival skills, which is part of the reason it is entertaining. Eventually someone who has seen this show will probably be in a survival situation, and if they remember something on the show, they would probably try to use it.
The fact is, there are some good survival techniques in the show, but often he doesn't explain them enough for a lay person to replicate, and by making it all look ridiculously easy, I think many people would give up after realizing that using them in real life is nothing like how it is depicted on the show.

Of course worst of all are his reckless antics, pointlessly risking his life numerous times per episode. What I'm trying to say with this long winded rant, is that plently of people take him seriously because of the way the show is presented, and that is very irresponsible of both him and the producers.

I really hate this guy, and as mean as it may be, I really hope he hurts himself making a show. Maybe then more viewers will realize what a reckless moron he is and disregard his advice.