When I saw the pilot episode of "Man vs. Wild" a few months back (at least I believe it was the pilot) I was totally against most of the "techniques" Bear was choosing to show. Last week I made it part of the way through the Desert episode, and I stopped watching because I couldn't believe the situations Bear was putting himself into.

I thought about it for a while, and I was conflicted on a few levels.

Here's my dilemma:

I loved the "Crocodile Hunter", but have to admit that Steve Irwin's way of dealing with animals was pretty nutz, and shouldn't be imitated.

So I don't know why "Man vs. Wild" gets my hackles up for nearly the same thing.

It would be my guess that your average person is a lot more likely to come across a wild animal than they are to be in a survival situation. And yet of all the people that come across wild animals, whether they've watched "The Crocodile Hunter" or not, it would be my guess that most would take a wide berth rather than pester an animal to get a closer look.

When you're in a survival situation, you've got to do do what it takes to survive. Granted, what it takes should include sound risk assessment, and in a similar manner as above I would think that most people would go around an obstacle rather than through it. However, what if the only way to survive is to take the dangerous path, or by no intentional way a person ends up in a bad position?

In the end, if someone were to ask me to recommend a show on survival, I'd suggest "Survivorman" or one of Ray Mears' shows.

If someone were to ask me to recommend a show in which a man pushed his limits in outrageous situations and in which there were sprinkled a few tidbits of survival information I might suggest "Man vs. Wild".

I have to really ponder what it was that bothered me about what I was watching in "Man vs. Wild", whether it was the setup to each situation, or lack of such.

I just don't know. I might watch the show again to be fair.

OK... I love cable TV. Our "On Demand" service is listing a "Man vs. Wild" episode. I'll watch it now, and post my thoughts afterward. (Like anyone cares. LOL)