I laughed when I first read the "Crisis Relocaion Plan" for NYC in the event of an expected nuclear attack upon that city. With all the Fallout Sheters stripped of air handling equipment and all of the other supplies, I decided then that I would have to provide shelter for my family and friends.
I have decided to use my garage for the shelter since gamma & neutron radiation is released at the time of NUDET, it is primarily Alpha & Beta partices that must be shielded against. That is a rather simple exercise. I store food, water, sanitation, galley, communications, etc. in the garage. I provide additional shielding with bookshelves full of books, wood, and metallic spare parts. The only other main problem is when rain showers will be bringing down the deadlier stuff prior to its complete decay.
I plan to keep people busy with communications watches, giving/receiving instructions in a classroom setting, and other collateral duties spread around to everyone. Every night, one or more will have a morale event to host/provide.
My garage is already laid out to be converted quickly to this purpose. Power is provided by a bicycle -powered generator with a gas powered generator as a backup. Air supply & co2 removal will be achieved by an electric powered squirrel cage and a hand-powered 2 cubic foot manual air pump.
My largest problem evolves around competent medical assistance. I have some who can qualify as a basic medic & I have some nurses that may or may not make it to the shelter.
Stick holes in my plans, what have I overlooked? What suggestions can be offered?