The trick is the software. The data entry app wouldn't be hard to write, the fun part is getting the autorun to work. It's most likely just an autoplay exe that resides on the drive, like U3's embedded OS, but that bit of software is worth something. And that is tricky, trust me, I've had to read most of the USB protocals and rules. *shudders* I'm also trying to port some apps to the U3 protocal, it isn't much fun.

I'm not sure if it's worth that much, though I have to disagree with the degree you seem to feel that it is. While you might find flashdrives for less than 10 bucks, I wouldn't trust them with my data, I've personally watched two start to smoke in the past year. SanDisk, on the other hand, I've had several of them for several years (back to when we paid about a buck a meg for these things), and never had a problem with them. The SanDisk Cruizer 256 goes about $15-20 retail and that's not the waterproof version, nor is it preloaded with the U3 EOS. I'd pay about ten bucks a lisence for the software and the medical data service subscription that is implied, and about $15 for a waterproofed 128MB ("small" is a very relative term, that is still the size of a print dictionary) thumbdrive.

I also didn't see them mention that you need to have the security on the viewing computer turned down enough to have a USB autorun work. And USB 2.0 is where autoplay starts to be supported IIRC, assuming that the OS has a clue of what that funny, fuzzy tickle means. Assuming the EMS team has a laptop/tablet available, and that the ED bothers to look at it.

What I would do in SanDisk's shoes is provide a way to put the same data on the CASE, so a human can read it, that you can put on a medicalert tag. The real problem with the Cruizer is that the little, slimline caps slip off too easily- they should have gone with the big, bulky protective cap, which would give you the room you need.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.