For my BOB I have a pot that is 2qt capacity and has a bail handle. I actually have a small length of light chain with a wire hook on either end so I can suspend the pot over a fire. Of course, it will also heat up quite well on a burner type stove of any type. In an emergency situation, if you have such a pot, you can boil water to purify it. Any food that you prepare by boiling is safe and good to eat, also. And a vast number of different foods can be cooked this way. Even scrounged foods like small lizards and little fish or small mammals, when boiled render all their nutrition. The soup made in this way can be consumed completely. If any kind of meat is simply roasted on a spit over a fire, a lot of the calorie potential can be lost as the fats drip into the fire and are lost as well as the possibly over cooking and charring the meat, losing more food potential. The list of items you are cooking are all good things to have in your BOB to eat on the trail. I like to have a frying pan, too, but it is not strictly necessary.