I've done it. You remove bullet and @ half the powder charge. Loosely fit a wad of cloth,paper, cotton etc back in case. I stress loosely, we don't want to create overbore, or excessive backpressure. Point firearm DOWN and discharge the weapon. You will with luck have a burning or smoldering tinder @ 8' out on the ground. The worse case is the tinder has allready burned out before it exits the muzzle. Always inspect bore afterwards for residual obstructions.This would be a MacGuyver stunt if Richard Dean Anderson wasn't against firearm ownership. Don't laugh, but cowboys used to place funeral money or early matches in their 6th cylinder. A FOOLPROOF, or fool's way of starting a fire with a weapon is to use AP ammo. I know of 3 major fires started this way by irresponsible shooters.If you have a firearm for Bart the Bear hiding behind the forest coke machine there is no excuse for not having a small kit stored in the cleaning buttrap or in the cartridge sock on the stock. My prefered last ditch method over this is using a fresnel lens by moonlight.