The rebellion of yeasteryear is very much the same as when I was in highschool (less then half a decade ago) and the rebellion of today. A couple of decades ago Pink Floyd was playing Another Brick in the Wall "We don't need no education, we don't need no self-control" and starts with the sound of helicopters flying over head a strong reference to Vietnam and distrust of leaders sending young men off to die. Alice Cooper's Schools Out was in 1972. Almost thirty-five years ago. People have been sing "My Eyes have seen the Glory of the Burning of the School" since my dad was in school. He graduated in the '60's.

But my point was you don't rebel against the "man" by capping half a dozen of your school mates. They may justify it that way (I don't know that I have ever heard that as an excuse) but the reality is school shootings are perpetrated by sick individuals or individuals who have never had to face responcibility for their actions. The mental health facilities aren't/can't do the job we need them to do. And it's been such a long time since the role models for children took responcibility for their actions, that the children don't know how. You can't have self-discipline until you've had external discipline. But as another poster pointed out, school shootings are actually on the decline (this spat non-withstanding) while the news has become more entertainment then information. Show video of shootings over and over, follow the families to the funeral in your satellite truck. People tune in to see that, they buy news papers when that's on the cover. It's irresponcible, its despicable but the money roles in. Don't blame the current crop of teenagers (two of the shooters recently have been middle aged) for the sickness in our society; punish them for their individual transgressions but don't blame them for the underlying causes.