Good evening Ladies and Gents; Several schools of thought. one is with enough knowlege and experience a knife that carves and cooks well is all you need because you undoubtedly have the requisite axe and saw with you as they are the appropriate tools for the tasks they were designed for. This is called woods craft and folks like Mors Kochanski don't do survival, they just set up housekeeping. The other school states you need the most robust knife that you can find as it will be called upon to do anything you ask of it without failure, even the work of other tools, will exceed the makers design peramiters and the best guarantee is worthless as failure could mean your demise. Where dose the truth lie? I guess it's dependent on who you ask, their experience and skill level and their view of what "survival" is. Me, I carry a lockback, SA Ranger or Forester, and Leatherman Wave. In my bag I carry a 4" fixed blade, a GB hatchet, a hand chainsaw, and a Greber Exchange Blade saw. In my backpack I have a folding buck saw, a MDK ATAC and a GB small forest axe three seasons, changed up to a GB Scandi forest during the winter. Redundancy is important to me. I want to be able to split wood with my folders using a crudgal and whittle with my axes. I recognise that I may be limited to my EDC and have planned accordingly, but I always hope to have access to the next bag up. Thoughts? thanks Jim

Edited by aligator (10/05/06 02:10 AM)