Without wishing to downplay the risks of foreign travel, I'd have to point out that of your list:

Spain - modern EU country
NZ - lots of wilderness, but another modern 'western' country

Of the others, Brazil, Mexico and India are large countries, with modern emerging economies. Parts of the countries are very poor, with the attendant problems, but not all of them. Colombia and Kenya would fall into higher risk IMHO.

BUT - more important than the tools you pack will be the mindset and culture. And it concerns me that your post puts all these countries in the same basket. Without letting fly with cliches, this is something that I have seen from some Americans - 'abroad' is scary. Well, it's not all scary, and it varies quite a lot.

Your friend should think about each culture seperately. Going into the backcountry in Kenya is WAY different to travelling between Madrid and Cadiz, and the mindset with which she approaches the locals, and the understanding she has of their practices and culture will be critical.

That said, I'd also make sure I had the basic EDC I have when travelling (SAK, light, whistle, cash etc.) and I'd beef it up a bit for some locations. I'd also make extra sure people knew where I was and when I was expected back.