Im not an executive, but I do frequent many cities and factories around the country. When in certain US states (the ones I frequent most often) I keep a 357 magnum on my side. (Particularly Atlanta GA and Knoxville TN). A good high ride belt slide will conceal really large pistols under a sport coat. Under an oversized t-shirt also for that matter. <br>I would prefer a Kimber Pro CDP in 45 but my 4 inch Ruger GP100 is more versatile. <br> After much study of FBI forensic results and quite a few medium sized animals shot with all kinds of loads I have decided to keep the old FBI 38 load in this gun for defensive purposes. This is a 158 grain semi-wadcutter hollowpoint moving around 900-1000 feet per second. Its effectiveness in FBI reports is almost identical to a 45 military ball. <br> I keep an ASP Saphire on a lanyard attached to my watch when out at night. Its not my choice for my tin, but that blinding blue light destroys a persons night vision. (try it if you dont believe it) <br> All of these things used in a modified Harries stance should be quite effective. I say should because (thankfully) I havent had to try it in real life. <br> There is always the most important point to consider though. Situational awareness is the more important than any tool or weapon. Avoid the necessity of fighting for your survival. Its like private pilot training. You train for the worst so you will never allow yourself to be put in such a situation. <br> As far as knives go....I consider them tools, not weapons.<br><br>This answer may be a bit much for some people because of its Southeastern USA flavor, but that is the world I live in. I dont lie to myself and think that I, at 5'-8" and 150 lbs, could overpower a 6 foot tall 200 lb criminal holding a machete (or more likely a gun). My only responsibility and moral consideration is that I return home to my wife and son. All else is secondary.