I knew a young guy once... he was in his twenties, but had a very sheltered life, and he was terrified of the idea of going into a liquor store and buying beer. His question was, "what if they ask me what I want it for?".<br><br>Well, there are several answers. The most obvious is that I can't really imagine anyone asking. <br><br>Ladies often carry whistles on keychains as a low-level mugging defense, and in the post 9/11 world I don't think nearly as many people are quick to call someone else paranoid for something that simple. If by "torch" you mean what Americans call a flashlight, that is also extremely common. People put them on key rings just to be able to see their locks and keys at night. If you mean one of those torch-type cigarette lighters, I'd be a bit worried about drug connotations- I prefer one that looks like a lighter. Gentlemen who do not smoke still sometimes carry them for gallant gestures.<br><br>More fundamentally, it would depend a great deal on who asks, and why. All sorts of people have all sorts of happy nonsense on their key rings, and it's rarely a subject of conversation. If you're being searched for some reason, I can't imagine them caring about a whistle, cigarette lighter, or flashlight. I guarantee that if I'm searched, nobody is going to be worrying about a whistle. :-)<br><br>If you're concerned about revealing something, don't reveal it. If, on the other hand, you're concerned about being searched against your will, don't sweat the whistles, flashlights and lighters. At that point, they won't be an issue.<br><br>That having been said, I don't carry a lot with my keys- just a BSA "Hotspark" that's shaped much like a key. Between the leather key case, the remote for the car alarm, back-up remote for the garage door, office, home and car keys, it's way too bulky as it is. If I did, though, I like the idea of having a small nylon or leather pouch on the key chain- protects pockets, and protects the contents against wear and inquisitive eyes.