Interesting. Certainly the overall theme of this issue appears to encourage preparedness. Dorn even has a blurb about some "extra" emergency gear he takes with him (p13). It's a bit wimpy from my perspective (no firestarters, first aid, for example). I'll try reserve judgement since it is possible he always has that as part of his other "normal" supplies. At least it does seem to avocate being prepared. [Edit: Oh, I see he says he stashes his extra stuff *in* his FAK.]

I read the article "Lost+Found", about John Donovan last night. I couldn't help but think that the tone of the article frowned on Donovan's ultralight philosophy.

Certainly I feel that he should have been better prepared and can't help but feel that if he had a few more supplies he could have hunkered down and rode it out a bit more sucessfully.

Of course, it appears in the end it was his lack of skills that really did him in. While he had firestarting materials, it didn't seem he was able to keep a fire going, and certainly didn't seem he was able to make one that could serve as a signal fire.

And of course, lack of naviagational tools and skills.

I guess my feeling is that if you are well prepared, you should be able to make it out under your own power as long as you are not injured. When you go *into* the woods, I just don't see the excuse for not being prepared.

What is even more amazing is he spend so much time in the woods without picking up the needed skills.

In any case, despite the tragedy of that story, I find the story about the two young people who found his pack and built a signal fire even more amazing. Their complete lack understanding of the situation and complete lack of any survival sense amazes (but doesn't supprise) me.

-john

Edited by JohnN (09/16/06 09:46 PM)