First day back from a week at Scout camp. The week was a great success for the troop. The heat index of 100+F made life difficult the first few days as a few of the boys didn't heed warning to dring water all day long. But they recovered and the weather finally broke midweek. <br><br>Several of the boys worked on Wilderness Survival merit badge, including my son. I was to sleep out in a shelter too, but I simply ran out of time to build one. We had 43 boys in camp and they kept us leaders hopping. Also, I was working with 8 of them on Environmental Science merit badge so I had very little time to myself.<br><br>My son made a great shelter out of fallen branches, pine boughs and leaves. The councilor was impressed enough to take a photol of it. Unfortunately, my son developed a wheeze after 30 minutes in the shelter. He has asthma so I was not surprised. I even warned the staff medical officer that night that we may end up knocking on his door for treatment. Luckily, he's mature enough to recognize the symtoms early and his inhaler was sufficient remedy.<br><br>At first blush, this may seem an unfortunate disaster, but I actually chalk it up as a valuable learning experience. We know know that an emergency shelter from natural materials is not an option for him. So he must always make sure he has the materials (poncho, mylar blanket , plastic bags, etc.) to create a non-allergic shelter.<br><br>Because of his schedule with other badges (Lifesaving, Camping & Small Boat Sailing), he didn't get a chance to make his shelter until our last night. So he'll have to try it again on our next outing at Devils Lake State Park in Wisconsin next month.<br><br>BTW, I was truly disappointed that my Cherry/Rasberry cobbler with a Cream Cheese pastry crust didn't win the "World's Best Cobbler" competition. However, the winning entry was from a special needs troop and I don't think I have ever seen such and proud, excited group of scout as them!<br><br>I'll catch up and write a new journal entry in a few weeks for those who follow my expoits on my web site.