1x hacksaw blade (cut to size)
1x button compass
1x plastic thread bobbin with threaded, black fishing line
approx 4 feet of snare wire
approx 3 feet of duct tape rolled onto straw
approx 5 feet of thread
1x pencil (cut to size)
3x sewing needles (magnetized)
8-10x strike anywhere matches (cut to size in reynolds press 'n seal)
3x fishing sinkers (different sizes)
6x fishing hooks (3 different sizes)
3x safety pins
2x buttons
8x generic brand tylenol 1 with codeine (in reynolds press 'n seal)
1x salt packet
4x pepto bismo capsules (in reynolds press 'n seal)
3x Allery medication
Sheet of reynolds hd tin foil
1x Fresnel lens
2x birthday party candles

I've recently re-surected the first aid/survival kit I had in scouts.. Maybee world events or just the need for something in case the s*** hits the fan otherwise in my life... I don't want to be without the bar minimums in case of emergency and this is my first kit. All this has fit into a mint tin and i'm pretty pleased with what I have so far but any criticism is welcome. I also have a few questions for the experienced person(s) here, and there are some items i have not found because either lack of options here in my town or haven't found the right post or webpage.

1) Iodine/Anaseptic
I'd like to add some anaseptic to clean a wound if needed, but cannot find a source for small packets or ampules...
if possible, how can I seal iodine in a glass or plastic container?
Can someone point me to a site that does not require me to buy large amounts?
Also is potassium permanganate a good solution for a psk?

2) Glass or plastic Vials
Can you point me to a site with a larger selection of glass vials, plastic containers, etc..
I want a soft plastic bottle with a opening large enough to put either matches, medications or my fishing kit..
I'd say one 1" diameter, 2-3" tall and preferably plastic with a sealable top.

3) candles
I want to get some long life candles for bob and car kit.. my only concern is the melting under high temperature (eg. car trunk or hot summer day in backpack). Parafin wax seems like it takes less heat from post(s) I've found. How about couglan's 9hr candles?? Does anybody know how long these actually last and what additives if any are added? Are there better solutions?

4) water bags.
I don't think I would rely on condoms for water containers and ziplocks prob too big for kit.. How about gerber milk bags? Will they fit? Does anybody have any other suggestions? commercial or otherwise! I currently have a platypus water bottle and carry that around in my car or at work...but looking for something for psk.

Edited by freeballer (09/06/06 07:40 PM)