I agree that location can make a huge difference. I have camped in Texas and it wasn't too bad, of course it was cooler then too. Also I notice there isn't as much out there to use in shelter construction. In a different climate, I would have to improvise although I must admit, I'm not sure what the conditions would be exactly. I used to travel alot so I had to be ready for anyhting but now I pretty much stick close to home. Since our largest predators are pretty much small compared to most parts of the country, I don't worry about them too much. I have made smaller shelters but I'm not sure how big they were. The smallest I have made was out of two bed sheets that I pretty much angled to the ground on one side and about six feet high on the other. Total usable floor space was probably about ten foot by whatever the length of a sheet is. I pretty much just slept under it to keep the dew off. I didn't time it although I just used one pole, laid both sheets on the ground and rolled the pole up in the ends to do away with the gap, and tied the four loose corners to stakes. Not sure how long it took but I know it didn't take long at all. The pipe advice is a good one. I used wood for a stem due to availability and cost so it doesn't get very cold. This is my first attempt at a pipe as I said in an earlier post and I fear that I have made quite a few mistakes on it. The bowl turned out looking really good though, I was proud of it anyway. Maybe I can make the next one better.