Sorry about the confusion in my description. Actually a pole barn describes it perfectly but I wasn't sure if that was a universal term. I actually have never used a proper lean-to although I have built them to show other people what they were. You are correct in your assertion that we usually have large brush piles all over the place. One of the by produts of the timber company. The place I have the most experience with was once clear cut but eventually was replanted and is once again a forest, so much of the materials I used I poached from several of these piles. Some of them are no longer there due to my use. The time stamp thing I will work on before hand to see if I can figure out a good way to do it so that it is readable. I have a new camera that I am not at all familiar with so it may take a little time to figure out exactly how to use all of the features on it. Thanks for the tip on smoking too. I actually have a pipe that I carved not too long ago but I don't think I seasoned it properly or something. It was my first attempt so I'm not sure if I did it right or not. It is rather harsh and somewhat hard to keep lit. The waterproofing thing I try to do with the angle of the roof. I try to get one side as high as I can so I can still walk under the low side without cracking my head on a sharp limb. Sometimes that's not possible so it does rather resemble a lean-to although neither side touches the ground.The main thing I am concerned with is the part directly over the hammock since that is where I sit while waiting out the rain. I usually have to patch it every couple of days if it rains continuously, especially over the fire since it wilts leaves and warps the needles much faster.Patching is just a simple matter of throwing stuff up there from the low side. hrowing limbs ct side first, they act like an arrow almost and with practice I can hit exactly where I want. They usually end up quite thick, ending up somewhere around two feet thick maybe more depending on how long I've been there. Of course it doesn't rain all the time so I don't patch it all the time, so I don't spend a lot of time working on them after they are up. I have been thinking about going out in the woods near my home and secretely building one but I'm kind of nervous about someone walking up on me wondering what I am doing (it's private land and I don't have permission to do something like this). Other than that I have to travel about an hour to get somewhere and even then I have to deal with people walking up on me. At least I would have permission there. Anyway, I will figure out all the details of the where and when and get some pics.