I guess I didn't describe my situation very well. By "long periods of time" I mean two months or more. Fire was easy since I am a smoker. I carry a lighter with me for that reason alone. Cutting implement wasn't hard either, I have used broken glass (which is abundance in most places), a pocket knfe that I carry for utility work, or even rocks that can work in a pinch and if you don't mind it taking awhile. For the larger stuff, such as poles for shelter, I have piled coals around the base of a small tree until it eventually burned through or I just bent them till they broke. I could. Medicine wasn't an issue since I ususally don't take it even when I am at home, and bandages I have made from parts of a shirt that I ripped off. Also I didn't purify the water. In fact, I never have used a purifier. never even owned one or known anyone that's owned one. Around here that's just never come up. Clothing I didn't make, I just washed the ones I had in a stream. I did find out early on that rocks not only clean clothes ok, they also make them wear out pretty fast, so I just wash them as best I can in the water. Food wasn't a problem. Around here food is everywhere. Rabbits can be taken by deadfall, so can raccoons, possums, and other small scavengers, birds are pretty much everywhere, although I have never trapped one that I remember, beaver, deer, turtles (one of the most abundant around here, and easiest to catch), frogs, fish, snakes, and crayfish. Crayfish are usually the first thing I hunt for since they are probably the most abundant and also very easy to catch. It does take alot of them to make a meal, but they are good. I have had to eat them raw and on those times, I got really small ones. The thought of eating them raw really doesn't appeal to me and the smaller ones are easier to force down. They also make good bait for certain animals such as fish and raccoons. I must admit, alot of the times I relied on items that I found to help me out. Where I used to go was about a mile downstream from a hydroelectric plant (read as dam) and there is no shortage of discarded fishing line, hooks, weights, and things that wash up from boats that have been crushed on the rocks. Once my dad took me to a spot where we found parts of three different boats washed up in the same spot. I found a tacklebox full of gear, although most of it was rusted beyond use, there were a few things I salvaged including quite a nice little fillet knife. If one looks around, usually they can find all kinds of things to make it a little easier. At least in an area that's heavily populated by fisherman.