I have been following this thread with some interest, to see what the reactions of various “regulars” would be. I think that most people here understand that less technological solutions exist in survival and preparedness situations. For example, as I look around the room, I see my utility powered light. If my electrical utility fails, I have a battery-powered flashlight. As the batteries begin to go dead, I have a candle. But do I want to start with a candle and go down the technology ladder from there? Not if I can have other choices. Can I make a candle? Probably, given enough time, materials, and experimentation. And assuming that I have that surplus time, because I am not hunting, gathering, farming, finding water, shelter building, etc.

Following my analogy a bit farther, if you understand how to make a candle with ease, please tell us all about it. We are eager to learn and understand.

Now, directly to the point: A 20 by 20-foot shelter is 400 square feet. That is the size of a studio apartment. What do you do with all of the room, since you have minimal gear to shelter? And if you are skilled at building strong, sturdy, efficient shelters from minimal equipment quickly and easily, please borrow a digital camera and a yardstick from a friend (if you do not already own them), take them to your favorite wilderness area, and take lots of pictures of the process (with the yardstick in the photos, to provide scale). We are here to learn.