Leigh, I am in complete agreement with you about trading stone tools for more modern ones. That just makes sense, and it is a fact that that is exactly what happened. It's also exactly what I would do. However, if the need arises due to circumstances beyond my control, I feel better knowing that I have that option to fall back on. I also agree with you about the pig thing up to a point. A lrge pig with tusks is a force to be reckoned with no doubt, but a 50 lb pig isn't that hard to take on. They do put up a fight but they are extremely riid animals with very limited mobility. I have taken on pigs that are around 50 to 75 pounds. One that size is roughly equivalent to a mid size dog. Due to their limited range of motion, I can just fall on their back and pull the front legs down towards the back ones and that's pretty much that. Of course I have spent alot of time learning animal behavior and have found that even the most unpredictable animals give signs as to what they are planning. Shifting weight from one side to another, bowing the head, watching the feet to see which one is planted or dug in, all of these things provide clues as to what they might do. This is not something that I recommend to someone with no experience mind you. I have been dealing with the most deadly animals on the planet for years (right now I have a timber rattlesnake, a southern copperhead, several black widows that I breed, and an African fat-tail scorpion) and I have had to learn animal behavior. I know, I am weird, I get that alot. Anyway, pigs aren't a problem until they get some size on them, then I don't even want to hang one in a snare.
To joaquin, when I went out on that outing, I was having some personal troubles at the time. suffice it to say it was out of necessity that I went on that trip in the first place. When I went I was racked with nervous problems and wasn't eating right. In fact I was underweight. After being in the woods for a week or two and doing some serious soul searching and self reflection, I came to terms with the situation that led me to that point in the first place. This was when I started eating again. It literally saved my life to get away from the distractions and clear my head again. I fed on birds, crayfish, rabbits, dandelion greens, bamboo shoots and other assorted goodies. Trust me on this though, crow is not one of the better birds to eat. Turkey is much better. Pigeon is ok but not much meat on it.
To James, I appreciate where you are coming from. It saddens me also to see the kowledge that once sustained our forefathers drift away on the wind. I agree with you completely. I can also relate to the old books you spoke of. I have read many of them and I think it's a shame that things have changed so much. Some of the best books I have read are the Firefox series that covers alot of the older ways. The books are basically a compendium of stories from mountain folk who still use primitive ways on a daily basis for everything from making soap, to gardening, building log cabins, and a host of other skills. The stories are really great and some of the superstitions are really something to read. The lifestyle is anything but mainstream, but it's also something that's close to me since I grew up with people just like the ones in the stories. I recommend the books to everyone looking for some great entertainment and awesome enlightenment. There is so much to learn in this life and so little time to do it. I wish more people felt the way you do James.