I don't know about the quality of the tent. I know it doesn't measure up to my usual shelters. I also know that it takes almost as long to put up. These things, combined with the fact that I can make a shelter any size I need it to be (so every one is built especially for the situation at hand) makes me think that tents are really not the way to go for me. I'm not saying that people that would rather have gear give up their tents. Quite the contrary in fact. Building a shelter from scratch isn't something that everyone knows how to do. It just happens that it's what I've always used and so I'm good at it. Some people don't have access to either the room, or the materials to build a quality shelter for long term habitation. I happen to have both, plus the knowledge needed to build them. I can have one 20' by 20' (or almost any size for that matter, the frame takes up the most time) up in about an hour, and I can have it as waterproof as it needs to be. I can have adjustable walls in case of rain or cold weather and I can add rooms to it. All in all, I prefer the versatility and comfort of a homemade shelter. Plus, I don't have to carry it out there or bring it back. When I'm done with it, if I don't intend to use it again, I can throw it on the fire. I usually use them again and again though. Mine usually last about a year with minor patching here and there.