I don't really care for a specific type of hammock over any other. I have some from Wal-Mart out of the camping section and they do just fine. I don't use mosquito netting, roof, or tarp, instead I rely on my shelter to do the job. My shelter usually consists of a sloping roof that keeps the rain off but still allows for a nice breeze. I build the shelter in such a way that I can fit all my gear under it and have a central fire that everyone can gather around if the temps drop. I don't sleep on the ground at all. If I can't hang a hammock, I build a bed. It's not really hard to do it, it's just a bit involved. Almost everything I need I can make.
Where I was camping this time wasn't exactly a campground as such. It is private land that someone has put a small fire pit on. The proble is, the people that own it are a bit free with letting people go there. Even if someone is already there! I'm not fond of that. At any rate, as you said, I am a minimalist. I can and have gone camping with nothing more than what I had in my pockets at the time. I like it much better when I don't have to carry a bunch of gear. Sometimes even a BOB is too much. Suffice it to say, my camping experiences are always interesting. Always an adventure.