My family and a friends family usualy go camping together. Their daughter is 7 and wanted to whittle with my wife and I, so we bought her this mora knife for her 8th birthday:

*** #73-164; This one is listed as a "Woodcarving knife for Children. It comes with a carbon steel blade not quite 3" long, 5/8" wide, and .080" thick. There is a stamped metal guard to keep the child's fingers off the blade, and the 3 1/2" wood handle is sized for smaller hands. ***

Her father had to keep the knife on his belt until we were all sure she could be responsible.

And on the subject of guns my 5 year old helps me clean the rifles when I get home. When he turns 7 or 8 he will get a BB rifle and he can then go out with me. At about 10 I will then let him shot a 22, that is if he does not shot anyone with the BB rifle. Also the BB rifle will be in the gun safe so my son will know guns are not toys.

I let my son cut bread at the dinner table as long as I have a hand on the knife. My wife was not happy at first, but she sees that my son now has respect for knives. I believe in small steps when introducing a child to dangerous things.