I recently order the Becker Combat/Utility-7 knife. It cost $50 from the Cutlery Shoppe.<br><br>This is one solid big knife. The blade is full-tang, flat ground, powder coated carbon steel, that was delivered sharp. The grip is large and slightly slick but again very good. It has a slight exposed tang on the pommel for light pounding. <br><br>The sheath makes this a great system. This is a nylon covered kydex sheath with front Velcro closed pouch. As Doug pointed out in his recent SHOT review, the sheath pouch will hold an Altoids tin. What he did not reveal is that the nylon sheath contains a kydex insert and BEHIND the kydex insert it is possible to slip ~12' of Paracord AND a 2"x3" plastic signal mirror. In addition to the Altoids container, (sealed with tape but not wrapped with cord, ranger bands etc), you can carry a complete unopened container of Potable Aqua at the bottom of the flapped-velcro-closed pouch under the Altoids tin. The thickness of the back of this sheath increased about 4mm with these additions. I have not tried this yet but I think I may be able to slip a rolled up Gerber Seal 'n Go Breast Milk pouch (see Doug's recent Briefings review) along side the Altoids tin. I could also possibly squeeze some Aluminum foil in the back pouch with the Paracord. <br><br>I tried out the knife in various mock situations last weekend. I decided that I would make at least part of a shelter and prepare wood for a spark-ignited fire. I easily split pieces of cedar, and made shavings and fuzz sticks to prepare a fire. I was able to shave a large volume of very fine cedar shavings for the birds nest tinder pile. I pounded the blade with a billet to split the wood. It is large for some chores but not particularly heavy or unwieldy. My hands are small and the grip was slightly too large for me but not too bad. The edge held up to the splitting of this softwood. I also used it like a chopper to sharpen some long Alder limbs to use for A-frame supports in an improvised shelter. Chopping was adequate, controlled but not like using a decent Ax or even hatchet. The blade came through this work in excellent condition. I have not dug with the blade or used as a pry bar. I am sure it would hold up, at least to the digging, I just couldn’t bring myself to do this just yet.<br><br>Overall IMHO this knife is an excellent example of good knife design, excellent ergonomics and great economics. The sheath makes this a great package that will stand the test of Equipped To Survive Forum Altoids Tin Packing Tinkers (ETSFATPT’s). I think this is $50 well spent. Much more knife for the buck than normal in this price range. I believe this knife represents better value and quality than the KaBar type knives.<br><br>If anyone is interested in even greater customization, see Eric Stoskopf’s SASS (Stoskopf Advanced Survival System) modifications to the Becker line of knife grips. I have not yet gone this far….but there is indeed space to fill under these grips….just where did I leave that 4mm hex wrench?<br><br>http://www.woodsdrummer.com/sass.html<br><br><br>