Robb,<br><br>It was never my intention to portray the shotgun as a poor choice. I still feel, however, that in most circumstances, a handgun is a better choice. If my circumstances were different, I would have both. Having said that.....<br><br>The primary consideration when chosing home defense loads in a shotgun is penetration. Factors to consider are: wall construction (will my chosen load penetrate it?), and what is beyond "shooting lanes" (if it will pentrate, what could it then hit----exterior masonry wall--no problem, kid's bedroom/neighbor's house--BAD problem). Larger shot sizes (buckshot) penetrates more than smaller (birdshot).<br><br>Also, recoil; without intending to sound sexist, this will likely be more a problem for your wife, than for you. Some loads recoil more than others. #7 1/2 birdshot doesn't recoil very hard, #00 does. Reduced recoil loads are available in some of the larger shot sizes. <br><br>As far as effectiveness, buckshot is a better stopper. However, at close range it won't make too much difference; the shot from either will be very close to being one solid mass at "in house" ranges. You will have to aim. The "point it in the general direction, and you'll getim with something" is a myth.<br><br>Slugs, and, particularly exotics (flechettes, dragon's breath, door knockers, CS, etc....) have no place in home defense shotguns, IMHO. Slugs are penetration liability, and the exotics are are a legal nightmare.<br><br>My reccomendation: # 4 birdshot. This is a compromise load. More oomph than a lighter birdshot, less penetration that buckshot, and easily managable recoil. It is what I would use.<br><br>Take care, have fun, and stay safe.<br><br>Andy

Edited by Ade (07/10/02 02:53 AM)