Rob,<br><br>Being a competition trap shooter and a competion handgun shooter, I would say a shotgun is a more viable choice for home/self defense. Sure, it's bigger, and has a significant amount of recoil...but handguns require more training, and wield less "stopping power," than a shotgun. Not to mention the "fright factor" of a shotgun being pointed directly at you! I personally feel that handguns are more dangerous to yourself and those around you than a long gun. Although, with the proper training and experience...the risk can be greatly reduced.<br><br>Regarding the 8 hour course. I would say the the course is plenty of time to be "trained" with the FAMILIARITY of a shotgun. As long as they teach you the proper loading/unloading, safety, shooting, and cleaning procedures, it will be fine. However, you should consider making a trip to your local trap/skeet range every so often to brush up on the shooting. Also, cleaning your shotgun on a regular basis will ensure that it is ready for you when you need it. Be sure to keep it out of children's reach, and to get a cord lock for it. (Mossberg may still be giving these out for free.)<br><br>For a good self defense/home defense shotgun. I would recommend the less expensive, but very good, Remington 870 express OR the Mossberg 500. 12 guage would be best for your needs. Stay away from the .410 and other small guage guns the store clerk may try to offer you. Look for an 18-20" barrel, 5-8 shot capacity, and you may even want to think about adding front and rear pistol grips. Also, as far as shells, I would consider target loads, light loads or reduced recoil loads.<br><br>I hope this helps, if you need more info or have any questions, feel free to e-mail me.<br><br>John McIntire

Edited by jwmcintire (06/25/02 11:16 PM)